Friday, September 9, 2011

My day in the sun

About two days ago I was on the freeway and while I was driving I heard, through the blaring music, a weird sound and the first thing I thought was, "wow, great. My tire just popped!" But my car was still driving normal, not swaying or anything so I pulled over anyway to check it out. Turns out the tread, or the very outer part, of my back right tire had come off. I got so lucky because I was still able to drive it to my destination safely. I called my sister Brooke to let her know and I knew I was gonna hear it because she had told me like a week ago that that tire was bad, she's studying to be an automotive technician so she's always letting me know about oil changes and stuff like that :) really nice having a mechanic in the family haha. So the first thing she says is of course, "aye drew! I told you!" hahaha I laughed because it was so true. It was sweet because Shawnee laughed at me too but still assured me that he'd come to retrieve me and he'd get me a new tire.

I ended up not being able to get my tire fixed because it was labor day weekend. I had work on Tuesday and was forced to take the bus and it ended up being a blessing to me in the end! I had made this deal with myself that I would take the bus at least three days out of the week just to be one less car off the road and less pollution. I still hadn't gotten around to getting a bus card so this was a good start. I loved walking and listening to music. Just feeling the earth underneath my feet, holding me up, made me smile and feel me with such energy and happiness. Might sound weird but that's what I felt. However, at the same time, I felt sad because all I saw was garbage along the sidewalk. I almost regretted not bringing along a garbage bag to pick it all up.

When someone throws there garbage on the ground, they don't realize how much that effects EVERYONE, let alone our mother earth :( and she's lashing back at us with all these horrible storms which will only continue to get worse if we keep going at this rate. It's scary to think about.

So the next day I decided that I would spend my morning picking a street and pick up garbage anywhere that I found it. I put on all my necessary gear(gloves, sun screen) and some garbage bags and of course, my ipod :) 

:( tons of stuff like this stuffed into bushes

Literally found like ten of these in the same area! someone was thirsty! haha

and another...


Almost didn't see ya there! ha! 

Beads? really?

I got down and dirty! haha 

However, through all that garbage, there peeks a beautifully colored flower :)

The end product :) 

Yup, I'm a "tree huger" haha 
Then after all this, I went to hot yoga and felt soooooo unbelievably great and so strong.  I want to dedicate at least one day off that I have of work a week to going out there and cleaning our streets. Might not be MUCH but it's SOMETHING and for me, that's good enough :)


1 comment:

  1. I must say Drew, you're just great, very unique and I love the way you think. How I wish there were more people like you. This semester of school I met a Hyelan, shes my korean friend and I have to admit shes the first person whom I seen literally litter on the streets, it gets me upset because she does it as if it was something normal, I see it as trashing your own living space and killing mother earth little by little. So today I actually spoke to her about picking up after her. She didnt took it well insteadd she just reply with the why would I if nobody else does it... I guess she just flows with the crowd. So I just want to say thankyou Drew for taking care of mother earth I really appreciated and pretty sure there are others who feel the same :). By the way, Im glad everything when well on with your car, that was kinda scary. Well I got to go now, but it was great to hear about all of this. Keep your head up like you always do, smile, be happy, life is to short to waste and keep moving forward. Take care and be safe =) -ana

    ReplyDelete