Thursday, January 5, 2012

My First Teaching Experience

In my yoga teacher training, I am in the second level where we actually assist a yoga teacher in a class. In the first level, we only observed a class. So today, we were put into groups of three: there was the observer, the student and the teacher. We each got ten minutes to teach, observe and be the student. Now, when my teacher told us that we would have the opportunity to teach our classmates, I froze... I kind of have stage fright, so teaching wasn't really an option when I was younger. When I'm put on the spot, this is what happens to me, every sound quiets in the room, I can hear my heart pounding through my ears and my throat all of the sudden becomes dry. I then feel discouraged and want to hide. Then, my mind goes blank and everything that I have ever learned, suddenly goes missing. I guess I just feel, or fear that I will be judged and not taken seriously. I calmed myself down and just took it one step at a time...

When I was telling and trying to describe the poses to my classmate,(we had to teach a sun salutation which is approximately twelve poses for just one sun salutation) I kept stumbling through my words and then I couldn't describe how to transition from one pose to the next. The point of the exercise was to try to find our voice and to properly and clearly describe how to do the pose because a beginner will be very confused and we need to talk them through it. The hard part was that we were only aloud to talk, we couldn't do the poses as we spoke. I know this would make it easier, but when I become a teacher, I have to be the teacher as well as the observer so doing the poses would distract me from observing.

I didn't have a very hard time but I felt discouraged... and almost like I couldn't do it... I moved through the poses as smoothly as I could. I also think that I am VERY overcritical of myself and I am so harsh to myself that anything I do, isn't good enough. I fear failure so I have to do it perfect the first time, otherwise it's over. This isn't being true to myself. I need to take it one step at a time because practice makes perfect. I need to realize and remember that EVERYONE is different. I just can't wait to find my own unique voice during this journey and finding out what kind of teacher I will be. I know I can do this. I just need to step out of my comfort zone to find myself. I love going to class because it takes me out of my realm and into a new world, a world that I love and appreciate so much. I'm glad to have been brought here and guided by these wonderful mentors I have as teachers. My time will come. I just need to find my VOICE! :)

Light and love,

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment